Author Topic: gaggia classic 3-way solenoid not milled?  (Read 10563 times)

Offline Monbro

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • Baratza Virtuoso
gaggia classic 3-way solenoid not milled?
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
Hey guys I recently bought a broken gaggia classic on ebay the seller told me it would not turn on, once I got it I opened it up and sure enough the wires leading to the power cord were unplugged. So I plugged them back in and it powered up. I primed it and attempted to get some water to go out of the brew head, but nothing.  I opened it up and every thing is clean as a whistle. almost like it had never been used. so I figured it might be the solenoid valve causing the problems and this is what I found.

I hope the picture posts, I don't really know what I'm doing. anyways in the picture it shows the 3 way valve, except one of the holes is not milled out by the manufacturer. my question is, is this how it is supposed to look? or did I get a bunk solenoid valve? and can I fix this by milling it out with a drill press or something similar.

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
Re: gaggia classic 3-way solenoid not milled?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
I found a few other pictures that might help.  I have not pulled mine to look so I can't confirm, but some views seem to show it open.

http://www.espressotec.com/index.php/parts/valves-1/gaggia-3-way-valve.html

Many views

https://www.google.com/search?q=gaggia+solenoid+valve&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0m1NU5X1McqAygGW2YGIAg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1691&bih=1001

Here is a great pictorial explanation of how the 3 way on Gaggia works.

http://www.stevenheaton.co.uk/blog_coffee/?p=218

And, welcome to GUG :)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:57:42 PM by D4F »

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
and can I fix this by milling it out with a drill press or something similar.

Looking at your 3 way and the photos, especially the last photo of the Stevenheaton link, it shows 2 holes from the top that presumable connect to the holes that you are looking at.  Are you able to do the machining required to go to the proper depth?  Can you square the piece up in a fixture and then set depth to match the good side and duplicate? Will drill end taper that you have allow that and not go through the back wall?  Just asking some leading questions because I don't know your tools or skills :)

What about sending Gaggia/Saeco/Phillips an email with that photo to see if they would replace it.  Obviously not user caused but a defect?  Probably here

http://www.importika.com/policy.cfm

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:21:23 PM by D4F »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
How about a picture of the entire solenoid and any model numbers, etc.
Is it possible that a previous owner patched in a solenoid that doesn't belong to this machine?

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Monbro

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • Baratza Virtuoso
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
Hey thanks for the warm welcomes guys!

to D4F, I am pretty handy, I've built/repaired things from beerpong tables to guitars and my baratza grinder. Right now Ive got a mini-drill press, a fullsized drill press, dremel and enough bits, clamps, and accessories to last a lifetime lol. I don't know that  they would replace the part, because I got it from ebay as is. But I'll shoot them an email and see what they say.

to Susan, that is totally possible. here are some pictures of it. internally it has a spring assembly and everything, but i didn't snap a picture of that.

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
Mine appears the same as yours, at least what I can see with it in the machine.  Some replacements look like this Parker brand

http://www.espressotec.com/index.php/parts/valves-1/gaggia-3-way-valve.html

They do at times switch vendors.  Seems the correct part other than machining. 

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
Hey thanks for the warm welcomes guys!

to D4F, I am pretty handy, I've built/repaired things from beerpong tables to guitars and my baratza grinder. Right now Ive got a mini-drill press, a fullsized drill press, dremel and enough bits, clamps, and accessories to last a lifetime lol. I don't know that  they would replace the part, because I got it from ebay as is. But I'll shoot them an email and see what they say.

to Susan, that is totally possible. here are some pictures of it. internally it has a spring assembly and everything, but i didn't snap a picture of that.

Thanks.  I'm glad D4F chimed in to say it looks like his solenoid, because it doesn't look like any I've seen before. ( I've only seen the Parkers.)  And, of course, that means I have no idea whether it should have one or two holes....

But....I just did a Google Images search for CEME series 5 solenoid (what it says on yours), and they all look vaguely as if they only have one  hole?  Please look yourself as I seem to have been batting out a lot recently with my ideas about how things work....:-(((

Susan

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
Similar findings on photos.  Parker photos were clear and with 2 holes seen on some, but not as well visualized for CEME.  However, they fit the same group outlets and serve the same function, implying the need for the same two holes, and I found this.

http://www.shop.partsguru.com/DM-1645-002-Gaggia-Solenoid-Valve-with-Coil-120V-DM-1645-002.htm

and the PartsGuru quote "Please note the coil may be Parker or M&M or CEME brand. It may be appear different from the original in your machine but the function is same." 

Offline Monbro

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • Baratza Virtuoso
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
Weird. Some of those pictures do look like only one of the holes is drilled through. But it seems like it would have to have the two holes in order to function. I couldn't find an email address so ill send gaggia a facebook message and give them a call tomorrow.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
You could also put it all back together and see if it works the way it is supposed to..... ;)
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Monbro

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • Baratza Virtuoso
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »
ha true. I'll give it another shot later. earlier I tried to run the machine minus the solenoid valve and I learned some things... mainly that it will blast water all over the inside of the machine. lol. but also the water that was being pushed out was only coming from one hole in the boiler, the hole that feeds into the solenoid valve. However, since there is no hole in the solenoid valve the water has no where to go when every thing is connected.

I'll test more and keep you guys up to date.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »
Just one last thought from this completely clueless person (me). 
If you look at this diagram, there appears to be only one passage to/from the boiler:

http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=4

Attribution in Dispute

Offline peaberry

• GUG Regular
    • Gaggia Classic (OPV mod, Silvia wand mod, Raspberry Pi mod)
    • Iberital MC2
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »
This site has some good pictures (complete disassembly of the boiler). It seems to show two holes in the boiler:
http://protofusion.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tn_IMG_3400-500x333.jpg

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
This site has some good pictures (complete disassembly of the boiler). It seems to show two holes in the boiler:
http://protofusion.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tn_IMG_3400-500x333.jpg

There is no question that the boiler of the Classic has two holes there;  the question is whether there are  solenoids which function using only one of those holes, which would make the "issue" of the unmilled hole moot.

So far no one seems to know whether the OP's unmilled hole is a flaw or not.  It is an interesting question, and speculation continues to run rampant. 

If anyone else has a solenoid like the OP's and would be willing to remove it and look at it's inlet to the boiler, that would be great. 

Another scenario that occurs to me is that there is nothing wrong with the solenoid with the single milled hole EXCEPT that it is designed for a different machine altogether and that milling that hole will lead nowhere.

I guess trying to mill it out wouldn't hurt;  I'd order a new correct solenoid to have on hand though....

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:28:31 PM by SusanJoM »
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Monbro

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • Baratza Virtuoso
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions guys. I still haven't gotten a response from Gaggia/importika about this issue so maybe its trouble shooting time. I think if I can get a hose to bypass the 3 way solenoid valve I can see how this thing works. If it is a manufacturing error I'll give milling it a try this weekend. I'll try to take pictures of the process. worse case scenario I have to buy a new Solenoid valve... 78 bucks geez.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge