Author Topic: Nice OWC restoration at HB  (Read 15678 times)

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
Nice OWC restoration at HB
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
There is a member over at HB who is doing a very thorough restoration on an OWC.

https://www.home-barista.com/repairs/gaggia-old-white-coffee-owc-restoration-and-mods-pics-vids-t49889.html#p561826

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
Re: Nice OWC restoration at HB
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Yes, it is. I’m following that one. He hasn’t yet opened up the water inlet in the group head, but he’ll probably get to that.

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
Hey everyone.  It's a shame this site is shutting down; I hope you all considering participating in my thread over there.  I'm having a lot of fun with the machine; and since Andy isn't around, I feel like I'm flying the OWC flag now.

Yes, it is. I’m following that one. He hasn’t yet opened up the water inlet in the group head, but he’ll probably get to that.

Jack

Hey Jack!  I've rerouted the water inlet and plumbed in a pressure gauge where the old water inlet was.  You can catch that over in the HB thread.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »
Your excellent work and your posts over at HB are evidence that there is no need to have a separate Gaggia forum.  Thank you for breaking ground over there with such excellent Gaggia work.
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
Your excellent work and your posts over at HB are evidence that there is no need to have a separate Gaggia forum.  Thank you for breaking ground over there with such excellent Gaggia work.

Oh wow! Thanks so much for the kind words.  While I TOTALLY disagree about have a Gaggia-specific forum  ;D

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
If Gaggia hadn't shot themselves in the foot (their feet???) by coming out with those nasty stainless steel models, we might have kept this going.   :P

Attribution in Dispute

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Since it's a little more active here, does anyone know where to get a snubber valve in 1/8 NPT?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
I never found one of those, so if you are thinking to use it for the pressure gauge, just buy one that is glycerin filled.  The glycerin makes the snubber unnecessary.  But given your level of interest, you probably already know that  ;)
Attribution in Dispute

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Ahhh but I love the gauge I have on there.

I called up a fittings warehuose and they directed me here:
https://www.omega.com/pptst/PS_SNUBBERS.html

303SS
1/8"

Seems like it would work.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
Let us know....either here or on HB.... ;)
Attribution in Dispute

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
You got it!

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Hey everyone.  It's a shame this site is shutting down; I hope you all considering participating in my thread over there.  I'm having a lot of fun with the machine; and since Andy isn't around, I feel like I'm flying the OWC flag now.

Jack
Hey Jack!  I've rerouted the water inlet and plumbed in a pressure gauge where the old water inlet was.  You can catch that over in the HB thread.
Sorry, but you’re referring to the inlet into the boiler. I was referring to the inlet into the head itself, above the shower screen. It’s all dependent on your perspective, I guess. ;) But it would have been clearer if I’d said “water outlet”.

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, I actually did that as well and posted a video today.  Take a look and let me know what you think of the dispersion of water.

Offline rcfitz86

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:08 PM »
Quick question... While this toggle works to turn the PID on and off, I clearly don't have it wired properly because the LED on the toggle switch doesn't illuminated.  Can anyone help me out with wiring it properly?

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »
I'm not sure about the LED toggle.  I had to play with one on another project to figure how to get the LED on, even though the switch worked.  Of course LED doesn't make a difference since the PID lights. I played with a DMM and the switch, and connections until I found the sequence.

There has to be a switched wire connection at the machine front, on/off switch.  How about a piggyback connection on the switched so that the front switch turns on the machine and the PID, standard setup? Neutral from the back to 9 (Or you have that and used all red wire?) and switched to 10.  You probably know that to have gotten this far, but I'm curious as to why change?  I realize that the Auber instructions are newer than the old style block in the back, but you still should be able to find a neutral back there and make an easy connection straight to 9, or already done in red.  Or the problem is finding the switched wire, or, not what you wish to do and you want the LED?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:34:46 PM by D4F »

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge