Author Topic: Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed!  (Read 17673 times)

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Gaggia Classic (oldish made in Italy)
    • Bezzera BB005
Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed!
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
Hi everyone!

I have some doubts whether everything is in order with my Classic. I am pretty much new in the world of making espresso. I don't have any knowledge in engineering, electricity...way more in Art, so I am very keen in making art of an espresso :)
I have read pretty much everything and have seen videos of making and lectures of espresso world, there is a lot more but can say I am familiar with terms on what's right and what's wrong (as an amateur :).
But also as rookie I can't be sure and I can't say if something is not working the way how it should work.
What I have noticed is a different sound, that is one thing, another one is weird pouring.
Why I say weird is because I haven't found anything similar anyone recognizes when brewing espresso.

First pour is after 8, 9, 10...12 seconds, and then everything goes "normal", let's say that I aim for 1:2 ratio, some 36 gr of yield (18 gr of coffee), more or less.
So at first it looks like choking but then when it starts it ends pretty much fast. It looks like it just doesn't have enough power. Coffee is sour like it's under-extracted.

My procedure ( I have tried a few) is to flush water few minutes before brewing, and recently I've tried not to flush and what I've noticed is that I might assumed right. Brewing was better, not 100% better, but better with more regular sound, and when I rinsed PF after brewing it looked like it didn't have enough power (again) with familiar deeper sound. 
So I would appreciate some help, I know a few of you :) could solve my problem.

I would skip questioning techniques and coffee and etc...I would stick to Classic issue (this time :)
Is it a solenoid, is it a pump...or...?
Gaggia is 2002 made in Italy, no PID (yet) no dimmers, just regular Classic (ok I have changed aluminum dispersion plate with the brass, IMS shower screen) my wife and I have bought it year ago...when I became possessed  :)

Please some help!...We've been drinking rubbish coffee lately:)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:10:21 AM by DG Classic »

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
Re: Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »
This is a great place to start.  Though about the Silvia, most is espresso basics.

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

Start at How to

12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

Don't flush or run any water just before brewing.  Machine warm up is at least 15 minutes and 5 or minutes between brews.

Will your grinder choke the Classic, stop flow at the group?  With the double non-pressurized basket?  You should be able to set the grinder to stop flow, and then back off enough to get the flow that you need, about 25 - 30 grams, weight not volume, in 25 - 30 seconds.

Are you using coffee roasted with in 2 weeks?  Can't skip coffee in the discussion.

It will be easier to help after you supply more information :)

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Thanks D4F,

Year ago I have started with readings and watching videos, I read a lot advises of professionals and baristas, I did see that article 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME way ago, as I already said I've red a lot but didn't get into engineering of the machine ( but thanks for the link, it looks kind of interesting) , I know how to press brew button, but rather not draw diagram of it ( I'd rather paint a painting of Classic and brew coffee while doing it) :)

OK, let's start with this :

I make coffee (turn Gaggia on) two times a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
I roast coffee myself, I have experimented with roasting (from light to dark roast) and time when to start using it (from 3-7 days, coffee is kept in a valve bag )
IMS shower screen
IMS double basket (16/21 gr) (non-pressurized) :)
Grinder Bezzera BB005 (as it shows in my profile), can grind fine to choke 5 Classics :)
Tamper 58.5 mm (Very careful concerning tamping, no visible channeling)
dosing lately from 17.6-18 gr of coffee (yield 36 gr)
Can't tell the grinder settings because Bezzera has infinite grind adjustment.

I warm Classic for 20 mins and then I switch the brew button to let some water through the group head, just enough for warming cups and get rid of stale water (about 80 ml of water), then wait around 5-7 minutes (in the meantime I am preparing everything, that's another 5 or so minutes) until I switch the brew again, in all it's 25-30 min of warming (that's the point where I noticed that the "pump" doesn't have enough power).

In my pursuit with this question I am not concerned about the taste of the coffee ( I am but...), but as I wrote I am more concerned with the sound and weird flow. It's choked at first, starts not before 8 sec, which might sound OK (5-7 sec is kind of an optimum), sometimes (depending on a day I started using roasted coffee or how it is roasted) but 8 is minimum, let's say if flow starts at 8 sec I can't have in any case 32 sec of brew time. If I target 32 sec brew time (with a bit finer grind) it won't start before 11-12 sec and so on...
I only change one variable at the time.

Until recently I didn't have this problem. I understand that the problem might be what you were referring to, but the whole thing is really weird.

OK, let me ask you a question:
Perhaps I could explain easier my doubts on your example?
Including all parameters: grind settings, dosing, tamping, what is your brewing time?
When do you hear your pump starts pumping and when do you have first start of pour?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:15:13 PM by DG Classic »

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Thanks for the clarification of where you are in the espresso journey.

For me, first drip about 5 seconds from "on."  Then 25+ additional seconds of brewing.

What is the volume of water combined from the group and open steam wand in 30 seconds (steam switch off)?

Remove the tank and replace it with "two tanks," a full glass of water and an empty glass for OPV return flow.  Use a blind PF or equivalent to block the group and measure flow back through the OPV into the empty glass for 30 second and note that flow.  You will then have pump flow with minimal or no resistance and pump flow at your OPV setting.  Have you ever changed the OPV pressure?  Another helpful value would be pressure at the group with a gauge, but a good start without.

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
I forgot to mention, I have a gauge and Gaggia is set on 9.5 bar (10.5 bar on gauge).

OK, that's what I meant, can't have additional 25 sec (or more) whatever I do, I can have only less, from 10 sec to 15 sec, even less sometimes, that depends on coffee roasting and the day, I change batch every 4 days. It starts like it's over-extracted almost looks like it won't start at all, but at the end with additional time it looks like under-extracted, additional time is way too short.

This looks more like a story of someone who has a bad grinder that doesn't have sufficient fine tuning, step 3 is a bit too fine and step 4 is a bit too coarse.

That's that additional time I can't have now, additional time is somehow fixed whatever I do.
If I grind finer, it will start to flow after 8 or more sec and it will end in 20 sec, if I grind even finer it will end in 25 sec, but the flow will start only after 10 or 11 sec, if I grind it coarser it will start to flow after  6 or 7 sec, but it will end then in 20 or less sec.
And this didn't happen before. The last thing that I wanted to think about was that it's Gaggia.

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Change batches every 4 days?  New fresh roast every 4 days or aged a little?  So you can grind too fine and too coarse and no steps between? 

In spite of beans and grinder, it worked before and you aren't mentioning any other changes.  Please check the machine/pump with the flow tests suggested.

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
Nope, as I wrote above, I start using roasted beans after they've aged 3-7 days and then use them all up in next 4 days, and I wrote a story of a bad grinder, not mine grinder :) mine has infinite grind adjustment so I can do what ever I want.
I've read about flow test you've suggested. I have a gauge but I didn't do the test still because I thought that it only tells how OPV is adjusted, not if it's working in order and if it's ready to replace it.
Could you explain please what I will find out after I do that test?

It's late here in Europe now, going to bed soon, I'll catch up tomorrow.
Have a nice day or night D4F

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
A healthy pump will pump about 10 - 11 ml/ml second again no resistance, so about that with the steam valve and group open - pump on.  OPV is not in play for that part.

If you have a healthy pump, then it will flow about 260 ml/minute at 9 bar.  Since you have a gauge, you can use the gauge as a blind PF, and have the pressure during the OPV flow, and use the chart to see if flow and pressure match.  In addition, since you set the pressure, it will be interesting to see if the pressure is still the same.  If off by much, you might suspect the pump.  OPV stuck open will give high OPV return and lower than expected pressure.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:31:03 PM by D4F »

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
Apologies for jumping in but I have to ask. Have you been dealing with this issue from the start of your year long espresso journey since you got your previously owned Gaggia Classic? What kind of preventive maintenance routine have you implemented the past year?

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
Thank you  for suggestion D4F, I will try do the test during the week, I read before and it's said I can cut the process in half and measure 130 ml in 30 sec, do you think that's fine?

I will still have on my mind that it's possibly a coffee issue and not the pump.
I have some doubts in green beans that I am buying at the local shop, it's sad but true that's the only place I can buy it. I have ordered some Sumatra Mandheling from England seven days ago and hope it will arrive tomorrow or in next few days, and then I could see the difference.

Not at all Jojo, you are most welcome, any tip or suggestion is appreciated.

I guess maintaining the machine is just regular, descaling once a month or 45 days most, back-flushing with Dusty (detergent) once a week (in the same way like in the "Whole Latte Love" video), one short period I was doing back-flush only with water after every espresso because I read some recommendations, but I stopped doing that because I didn't see reason for it, only stressing the machine unnecessary.
I didn't notice or I couldn't say now if there were some issues a year ago, mostly because I had a problem like many others at the beginning, and that is grinding. 
If I try to go back and try to remember when this begun, hm, maybe it was after I bought a new (third in a year) grinder. Well after fighting almost a year with coffee and trying to grind, my wife and I finally bought a grinder which I consider decent and with a design that I love :)
OK, that's less important... Functionality matters, but I did one stupid thing (otherwise I am really careful with any device that I am using).

When the grinder finally arrived, I saw some videos or better to say one where I could find some guidelines of how to set proper grind. And that man said 25 turns from factory settings for espresso. I tried that and that wasn't even close, and you can guess what happened next, I couldn't target the right grind in the next 7-8 tries, the stupid thing was that I was so impatient and did almost one shot after another.

And maybe that way I weakened the machine, pump...do you think that's possible?

My routine is also, as I mentioned, to flush some water through the group without PF to warm cups and mostly to get rid of the stale water from the boiler and that's 5-7 min before brewing, after I dump the puck I again flush PF with basket, sometimes I attach PF in the group and flush shortly and sometimes just flush PF without locking.
I've noticed when I flush water (to clean PF) after brewing that pump pumps differently, it sounds weaker.
Maybe that's normal but I can't tell.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:14:57 PM by DG Classic »

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »
Yep, 30 seconds run is fine, mentioned 30 seconds in the early post.  Captured volume is different than a minute run, but calculated rate is the same.  You can do 15 or 20 seconds, but the short interval introduces more possible error.

As far as pump sounds - The pump amp or watt draw is small compared to the elements.  The pump sound may change as the heater/elements click on and off.  So, watch the heat light and see if the sound is changing with the light.

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
OK, that's helpful, I will do that next time, thank you.

Do you recommend flushing (cleaning PF) right after brewing or should I wait a few minutes and then clean PF, or it doesn't matter?

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
I don't think it matters when you clean, but that after cleaning/running the pump you wait 5+ minutes for equilibration.  I knock out and rinse the PF, and rinse grounds out of the group/screen right after a brew so that it is ready for next use soon.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 09:46:44 PM »
Did this flow issue start when you began using home roasted coffee?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:24:37 PM by JojoS »

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
It didn't quite but it did during, I did have normal flow 5-6 sec  (first drip) after turning the brew switch on, but lately can't have under 8-9 sec. I am sure that coffee (green beans) is the issue but I will have to wait, I guess, until I try with new beans when they arrive.

I think about that sound, of the weak pump. When I look at some videos where back-flushing is shown, where the brew button is being turned on-off 5-6 times in a row, can't hear that the pump looses power, like mine?

I never read any comment where people have combined problems in one shot, they have either choke, or over-extraction or they have under-extraction, it's slow or fast, but never heard any comment slow and fast in one with no visible channeling.

I did think of that and it came to my mind how that's possible even with fresh roasted coffee but low quality beans.
But can't be sure with that sound.

When I do that valve test I will know more.

I have one thing to ask about that, when should I do that, right after I turn on the machine when it's still cold, or after 5 min or more when it's heated?

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge