Author Topic: Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler  (Read 3999 times)

Offline benm

• Just Got Here
Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler
« on: December 01, 2017, 04:32:10 AM »
Hello

I am new here. I own Gaggia Classic and Graef CM 800 grinder for 2 weeks now and I have some problems with freshly ground coffee shots. If I use ILLY preground coffee I dose about 18 grams, tamp and brew. The espresso is very good (20-25 sec and about 25 ml yield).
So I setted my grinder to the same grind as illy preground coffee - or a just a bit finner and do the same steps (18 grams, tamp and brew).
There comes the problem. The water flows too fast and in 20 sec I get almost 50-60 ml of yield. The "crema" has bubles and it is very dark.
Can anybody help me what I am missing here?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:01:38 AM by JojoS »

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Re: Re: Dosing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »
Hello

I am new here. I own Gaggia Classic and Graef CM 800 grinder for 2 weeks now and I have some problems with freshly ground coffee shots. If I use ILLY preground coffee I dose about 18 grams, tamp and brew. The espresso is very good (20-25 sec and about 25 ml yield).
So I setted my grinder to the same grind as illy preground coffee - or a just a bit finner and do the same steps (18 grams, tamp and brew).
There comes the problem. The water flows too fast and in 20 sec I get almost 50-60 ml of yield. The "crema" has bubles and it is very dark.
Can anybody help me what I am missing here?
Thanks.

Welcome to GUG! You may think that you are grinding finer than your pre-ground Illy but that might not really be the case as far as uniformity or particle size range of the grind size. Are you able to choke the Gaggia Classic with the Graef? Are you using the pressurized filter basket? Is your Gaggia Classic the pre-2015 model?

Offline benm

• Just Got Here
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »
Welcome to GUG! You may think that you are grinding finer than your pre-ground Illy but that might not really be the case as far as uniformity or particle size range of the grind size. Are you able to choke the Gaggia Classic with the Graef? Are you using the pressurized filter basket? Is your Gaggia Classic the pre-2015 model?
Thanks.
No I cant choke the Gaggia with Graef on finnest setting. But I have seen on youtube that lot of people can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=014Kt8i5LnI
I use pressurized filter basket on post-2015 Gaggia Classic. Do you think the problem is with grinder which doesnt grind uniformly enough?
Thanks

Thanks

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »
Ok. The main difference in the video is that the Gaggia Classic is pre-2015 using a naked portafilter. Your setup is very different. Try to get hold of an unpressurized filter basket. Post some pics of your setup.

Offline benm

• Just Got Here
Re: Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:05:00 AM »
Hey. Now I found the right setting to get decent "shot".  :) I think the problem is in coffee beans, which are too dry or something. So I need to dose more (about 20-21 grams).
With unpressurized filter basket I need to grind even finner, right? Where do you prefer to buy unpressurized filter basket for Gaggia classic?

Thanks

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:11:48 AM »
Plenty of online vendors depending on your location. Just google Gaggia parts and you get plenty of hits. Post your location so other members can suggest their favored online vendors and you can have a reliable source.

Offline benm

• Just Got Here
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:05 AM »
Plenty of online vendors depending on your location. Just google Gaggia parts and you get plenty of hits. Post your location so other members can suggest their favored online vendors and you can have a reliable source.

I am from Slovenia. Online vendors from Germany (or Austria) or Italy will be ok.
Thanks

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 04:12:01 AM »
I am in Hong Kong but I bought my IMS filter basket from https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/ but verify that what you intend to buy will fit your machine.

Offline wernerscc

• Getting the Hang of It
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
@benm, I'm using the 16 gram Accurato basket from Tidaka, Germany for a double shot.
https://www.tidaka.net/de/praezisions-siebe-accurato.html

For single shots I prefer the LM1 basket together with the suitable funnel from Tidaka, too.

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Gaggia Classic (oldish made in Italy)
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
Try these two, I have bought some items from both stores, I am in Zagreb.

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/
https://www.torrtoys.com/

And be careful when picking the size, if you are buying IMS, 28.5 mm is the height I believe you want, not 26.5 mm.
I was careless and ordered smaller one (wanted larger) because in the title it was written with bigger letters 18/22 gr (mistake), but actually it was 16/22 gr, I didn't read everything and wasn't familiar with the size of the basket until it arrived, so don't make the same mistake as me, if you want a dose 19 or 20 gr of coffee, then look for 28.5 mm IMS basket.

Offline benm

• Just Got Here
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:15:59 AM »
@DG Classic , @wernerscc and @JojoS thank you for your help. I appreciate it.   :)

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge