Author Topic: Bad taste  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Ruby

• Just Got Here
Bad taste
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:08:18 AM »
Hi every one, there is a bad taste in every  esspresso  I make with my Gaggia Classic. I use a burr grinder and fresh beans.
I washed all components as per instructions and ran water thru twice before use but I can still taste it (plastic ).
And I don't think it heats up very well .
Any advice would be appreciated.
Ruby.

pfeijao

Re: Bad taste
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Hi Ruby,
Remember that coffee roast is the single most important thing on taste..
Try another brand/roast ; Try different temperatures on the brewing process. ;try different grinder sizes.
If you grind too much and still apply too much pressure on the portafilter coffee it will be too murky.
If you grind tooleast it will be runny water..
And the brand is also important. Some brands the coffee beans have too much moisture and the grinding is not good.
I do not like to use pre grind coffe ; it lacks smell and taste. I prefer to roasted in the moment.

Of course a good grinder is expensive. If you do not have the possibility to have one decent you should buy pre grind coffee.
In my humble opinion its the coffe bean quality that matters.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:58:37 PM by pfeijao »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Send it back.
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Ruby

• Just Got Here
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:04:53 AM »
Thank you pfeijao for your advice. Spent the morning grinding  different beans and tried temp changes but still has an unpleasant taste and no crema on my espresso! I have a decent burr grinder and I don't buy pre ground . This is my 3rd espresso machine and the only one that has let me down . Also the water resevoir has a gap of about 1/2 inch which I don't like -what if a bug happened to fly in it?
No, it is not a good machine and it is over priced at more than  $700.00 in my opinion. Looking to buy another espresso machine after xmas .

A family member may find this Gaggia set up in their kitchen upon their return from holidays or I may try to sell but I would be lucky to get a 3rd back of what I paid and I can't be bothered to take it back.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 06:25:27 AM »
Tried temp changes? How did you do that? What were your 1st and 2nd espresso machines? What is the brand/model of your decent burr grinder?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:26:52 AM by JojoS »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Really?  You would give someone a gift of something you find entirely inadequate?
Sorry, but that is pretty bad behavior as far as I'm concerned.

I'm okay with you don't like the way the Gaggia is designed and you don't want to learn how to use it, and you 'can't be bothered' sending it back, but to give it to someone else?

In my not so humble opinion, that is not very nice.
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline DG Classic

• Getting the Hang of It
    • Gaggia Classic (oldish made in Italy)
    • Bezzera BB005
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
I apologize for interrupting, but couldn't resist.

Susan you made me laugh so much with your comment! :)
And I wouldn't agree about opinion of Classic's design! As an artist I can modestly say that I bought Classic not only because of recommendations that it produces great espresso, but also because it has a wonderful, timeless design, just like Bezzera BB005 grinder :)

Ruby, don't give up, be patient, you are not alone...Classic can take you to the places of coffee world you would never imagine you could go into! :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:09:21 PM by DG Classic »

pfeijao

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
Hi Ruby,
What brand/model is your grinder?
Let me remember you that a "good" coffee grinder is very expensive, more than the coffee machine itself (>1000$). You have to get very thin grind to get a good coffee shot. if you take lower grinding the coffee will come out as black water not creamy espresso..

I have a Baratza Encore Coffee Grinder which is not considered a very good grinder, but a cheat beginner coffee grinder. I get very good coffee with it. It costs about 100$. But I buy the best (priced) roast coffee beans in it. With lower quality beans the coffee tastes awful.. I do not mean that the best is the most expensive but cheap coffe beans gives shitty taste.

Buy blends that are more arabica that gives a more subtler taste. Robusta beans have more acidic taste, are more strong in flavor.

I am not sure it is the machine. I have the same model as you. I would prefer the old one but it costs double price..
I have replaced the pressure portafilter with the original nonpressurized portafilter, but in both of them the taste is good.
I would assume from what you described bad coffee brand or bad grinder. The machines gets callibrated to do normal work, not perfect, but decent.

the pressurized portafilter always gives good crema, so , I would try to buy a good brand pre-grinded coffee.

Try to  buy pre-grinded coffee brands like lavazza,etc.
Use bottled water to do the test (maybe it is the water that has more calcium in it)

If the coffee is not good.. give it away.

Last idea ,may be a default temp switch. the temp sensor cost less than a dollar.. it is the worst part of the machine.. maybe it is giving you bad temperatures.

Good luck :-)
Hope you can solve the mistery.
I had to struggle a bit with mine to get good coffee..

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:46:41 PM by pfeijao »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »
I am locking this thread.
Anyone who wants to know why can read it from the beginning to the end and probably figure out that it is going nowhere and doing nothing, and is full of useless misinformation.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:48:11 PM by SusanJoM »
Attribution in Dispute

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge