Author Topic: Is organic milk my golden key?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline IntrepidQ3

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic with PID and Dimmer
    • HG-One
Is organic milk my golden key?
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
I have been chasing this texture/consistency in my frothed milk since I got my Classic back in October. I have tried whole, 2%, skim and so forth, I have tried different brands. Why I have not tried organic milk till now I have no idea, I just haven't.

The other day the girlfriend brought home some organic milk. I said hmm I need to try this out in a cappa and WOW! My milk has never been this good. Yesterday I thought it was one of those the planets aligned and the espresso deities where looking down on me while I was steaming. But, I gave it another whirl this morning and the result repeated!

Maybe it might come off as I am giving the milk all the credit here, but I have tried so many other types of milk I feel i have to.

I must say that the slight mark-up in price is worth it  ;D.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work." - Sigmund Freud

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
Re: Is organic milk my golden key?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
Was the organic milk from the same producer/brand as the other milks you have been using? 

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline IntrepidQ3

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • HG-One
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
I typically buy store brand, Greenwise, from Publix (grocery store here in FL) or milk from CVS, I cannot remember the name of it but it comes in a yellow jug.

The milk I mentioned in the OP is Horizon organic 2% milk. I do not believe there is any affiliation with what I have been using.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work." - Sigmund Freud

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
As the previous owner of a business distributing dairy products to the natural foods markets in the SF Bay area, I would suspect that the difference you are noting has more to do with the difference between Horizon and your store brand than organic and not-organic.   If you can find a better local milk, it just might surprise you;  but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep buying the milk that IS working.  I just think it is because the organic milk tends to be sourced and supplied by companies that are able to do a better job and expect a better price than just because it is "organic". 

I only once tried to drink a Lucerne milk after having had nothing but Clover milk for years.  It was revolting. 
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline IntrepidQ3

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • HG-One
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
Thank you Susan that is a very good point that had not cross my mind. For now I am going to stick with the Horizon milk. The difference is astounding for me, thus this thread.

I will though switch it out for other brands every once in awhile and see if I can find something that compares or exceeds at a better price. 

Offline geoffbeier

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
I, for some reason, really like Parmalat UHT whole milk for making milky coffee drinks. Most of the time I use whatever is in the fridge, but I keep a box of that in the cabinet to use for company or for those occasions when I've splurged on something new and fancy and am curious how it tastes with milk.

I've no idea why, but it's just easier to control than any other milk I've tried. And it keeps for months until you break the seal, so there's no problem keeping a little around for those rare occasions I suddenly care about getting the absolute best milk drinks I can.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge