Author Topic: KitchenAid by Gaggia with double boilers--heard steam noise, unit got very hot..  (Read 862 times)

Offline iwantbetterespresso

• Getting the Hang of It
I noticed that all the sudden it was making a loud steam noise but didnt see any visible steam. Noticed that the unit was very hot to the touch. Saw some water leaking out near the bottom, opened it up, theres water/condensation everywhere. What could it be? Thank you!

Edit: looked at it more closely and it appears to be a crack in the white plastic steam line. Any tips on how to replace it? I may just try shortening it and cutting off the cracked end and using it again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:27:38 PM by iwantbetterespresso »

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Is this the same gear from last year?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
I may just try shortening it and cutting off the cracked end and using it again.

If it is old enough and brittle enough it's probably just going to keep cracking, so you might want to source some replacement tubing to have on hand for when the temporary fix ages out....
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

• Getting the Hang of It
Is this the same gear from last year?

Kitchenaid pro line espresso machine? Yep!

I may just try shortening it and cutting off the cracked end and using it again.

If it is old enough and brittle enough it's probably just going to keep cracking, so you might want to source some replacement tubing to have on hand for when the temporary fix ages out....

That definitely is a fear. As it stands, I may just have to replace it--I cant for the life of me remove the teflon tube from the little ferrule in the nut. I tried cutting it out slowly, tried pushing it out, pulling it out, drilling (!) it out, melting it off, nothing.  >:(

Can I just buy something like this from the hardware store, or must I order it specifically for this machine from somewhere? Mine appears to be teflon/silicone, but I could swear when I saw the parts diagram it was copper?

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
Looking at the parts diagram

http://www.partsguru.com/user/kitchenaid-espresso-artisan[1].pdf

Parts 27 and 35 are similar tubes in size, but Teflon vs copper if I read correctly.  If 35 is Teflon, if could have been replaced, or the diagram is wrong.  While the melting temperature of Teflon is about 635°F, the heat deflection temp is much lower.  Not sure what heat deflection means, but perhaps Teflon is not the answer to the steam boiler.  It isn't melting, but if repeated deflection temperatures are reached, perhaps it cracks.

http://catalog.wshampshire.com/Asset/psg_teflon_ptfe.pdf

The 4 and 2 in the description may be mm size and if so, you can look for replacement in malleable copper.  Fittings might be found for that size.

You might contact Pizzaman through the forum. He and his brother have done a lot with KP machines.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
I am guessing it is Part 16 that OP is having trouble removing.

• Getting the Hang of It
Yes, it definitely cracked. I still haven't figured out how to get the teflon out of the little ferrule. It's impossible. I may as well just replace it but I don't really know where to get the part/how to go about doing that. I also noticed this brown mark which looks a lot like a burn mark. https://i.imgur.com/j8JWgyb.jpg

I don't know what to do here; what would you pros suggest? Thank you very much! I miss my espresso.  :'(

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Looks like the steam tstat is busted and will need replacing. Regarding the teflon tube, you can't replace what you can't remove. If it is only espresso that you are missing and not lattes, you can probably try to disable the steam boiler.

• Getting the Hang of It
If I DO want to fix everything so that I can use it what exactly do I need to buy? Maybe this is heaven telling me to sell my worldly possessions and buy a Profitec 700 haha.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
If I DO want to fix everything so that I can use it what exactly do I need to buy? Maybe this is heaven telling me to sell my worldly possessions and buy a Profitec 700 haha.

Maybe the solution is beyond your DIY capabilities. Sell the darn thing for parts and get yourself a Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic. 

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
There have been quite a few positive outcomes posted here by people who have fixed their old Pro Lines and been very pleased.

Maybe order yourself a brand new machine AND try to fix this one.   Win Win.

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

• Getting the Hang of It
I guess what I'm asking is: are these parts not widely available online? If so, I could just purchase and replace. If not...well, that's gonna be a problem. I wouldnt know where to sell this for parts. :( I have seen Pro Lines available used for a pretty good price but I wouldnt mind saving up and upgrading to be honest. I miss my espresso. :( Its so tasty and convenient. Thanks for all your help!

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
I guess what I'm asking is: are these parts not widely available online?

Some parts that are common to other Gaggia machines are available. It is not uncommon for spare parts that are unique to a discontinued model to be hard to come by. You just need to identify which part/s you need to replace.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler by benm
Today at 06:15:59 AM

Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed! by D4F
December 12, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

Bad taste by SusanJoM
December 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM

Gaggia Classic Solenoid Spring Question by motopoeta
December 10, 2017, 04:59:55 PM

Replacing power on/off light on OWC switch by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:17:13 AM

Ground faults by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:13:25 AM

installing a PID controller on Classic Gaggia 2015 (RI9403/11 European Model) by JojoS
December 09, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Baby Twin - problem w/ Coffee Dispensing Buttons by JojoS
December 08, 2017, 08:39:42 PM

IMS shower screen by SusanJoM
December 08, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Mods planning for Gaggia Classic circa 2007 by The Big L
December 08, 2017, 10:37:39 AM