Author Topic: Low water flow and leak on Baby Twin  (Read 259 times)

Offline StanInNJ

• Just Got Here
  • Have been making espressos for over 20 years
    • Baby Twin
    • Baratza Encore
Low water flow and leak on Baby Twin
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »
Hello everyone, I've had a Baby Twin for about 3 years.  All was fine until a couple of months ago when water flow started getting slower and slower. I cleaned with a descaler and manually cleaned the shower screen, the shower screen holding plate and the groove on the group head where the porta filter goes.  Once that was done, the machine went back to working as in the past.  This lasted for about 2 weeks and then the water flow again became too slow to produce acceptable coffee.  I descaled again and the machine went back to working well.  This time it only took one week of daily use before the water flow became an issue again.  I addition, I had noticed that the water coming off the group head wasn't hot enough to produce crema until the 3rd or 4th pull, even though the boiler indicator was a solid light.  So now, I just did my 3rd descaling, but this time, the water flow didn't improve significantly.  I timed a double shot at 55 seconds, without a portafilter.  The steam wand produces steam and hot water without any issues.

Another thing that started happening even before the low water flow issue was that the group head was leaking.  I replaced the gasket, but nothing changed.  The leak starts almost immediately from the beginning of the pull, occurs with or without a portafilter and is always in the back of the group head.  The leaking I can live with since it's more of a nuisance than actually interfering with the ability to make coffee.

Any suggestions as to what I can try next for either of these issues?

Thanks in advnace!

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Re: Low water flow and leak on Baby Twin
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
Based on the parts diagram of the Baby Twin, it is equipped with a solenoid valve. Do you own a blind disc? Try some back-flushing. A blocked solenoid valve is the likely culprit. You might have to manually clean it if back flushing with espresso cleaner does not restore proper brew water flow.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:57:04 PM by JojoS »

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler by benm
Today at 06:15:59 AM

Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed! by D4F
December 12, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

Bad taste by SusanJoM
December 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM

Gaggia Classic Solenoid Spring Question by motopoeta
December 10, 2017, 04:59:55 PM

Replacing power on/off light on OWC switch by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:17:13 AM

Ground faults by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:13:25 AM

installing a PID controller on Classic Gaggia 2015 (RI9403/11 European Model) by JojoS
December 09, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Baby Twin - problem w/ Coffee Dispensing Buttons by JojoS
December 08, 2017, 08:39:42 PM

IMS shower screen by SusanJoM
December 08, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Mods planning for Gaggia Classic circa 2007 by The Big L
December 08, 2017, 10:37:39 AM