Author Topic: Cleaning my OWC  (Read 1075 times)

Offline steveowc

• GUG Regular
    • Old White Coffee with Steam Knob on Front
    • Hario Skerton with Stepperless Mod
Re: Cleaning my OWC
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
Thanks, Jack - I understand the distinction you’re making. The instructions on the site for priming do not say to turn the coffee/steam switch to steam mode, either for priming the pump or refilling the boiler (the so-called “re-priming”).  So I think it’s user error again, maybe I’ve set the record for most user errors in a single thread!  :P  Anyway I’ll try again tomorrow; I’m at work today.

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »
...maybe I’ve set the record for most user errors in a single thread!  :P  Anyway I’ll try again tomorrow; I’m at work today.
I doubt that. :)

One note about the "priming instructions" here on the site. The OWC is not the most common model here.  I'm guessing those instructions are perfectly correct for one of the more common machines without a 3-way valve.  I'm not familiar with those, but I've ready that they have a spring-loaded ball valve to keep the brew group from dripping when the pump is not running, or whenever the steam valve is open.  If I understand it correctly, they should fill the boiler regardless of the mode selected--provided the steam valve is open.

But on a 3-way equipped machine (OWC and I assume Classic), you MUST use the "steam" mode to stop the water from flowing straight through as it comes in. The "steam" mode stops all flow through the group, and thus it fills the boiler. Once the boiler is full, water (not steam) comes out the wand (and that's also how to use the wand for Americanos, if you wanted to).

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

Offline steveowc

• GUG Regular
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:51 AM »
Thanks again!  That worked perfectly for filling the boiler - I got just a stream of water from the wand.  Flow started within a couple of seconds of starting the shot.  So now — assuming no more user errors — I plan to experiment with the warmup time, grind, and tamp pressure.  This morning I pulled one shot after a 5 minute warmup. I got a flow for several seconds, then dripping, called it quits after 30 seconds.  Result was 1 oz (using the 2-shot insert) with very little crema.  Pulled another 10 minutes later.  It started similarly, but flow restarted at 20 seconds with more crema. More experiments to come, but at least now I think the machine is working to its spec.

Offline steveowc

• GUG Regular
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Oh, one other question.  Since the OWC has a three way valve and an OPV, can it be back flushed? Should it be?  The machine wasn’t originally sold with a blank portafilter insert. 

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
I never had an instruction manual, so I can’t say what Gaggia recommended. But I bought a stainless “blank filter“ and backflushed regularly. You can tell it works by watching the color of the discharge into the drip tray.

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

Offline steveowc

• GUG Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Thanks!!

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler by benm
Today at 06:15:59 AM

Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed! by D4F
December 12, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

Bad taste by SusanJoM
December 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM

Gaggia Classic Solenoid Spring Question by motopoeta
December 10, 2017, 04:59:55 PM

Replacing power on/off light on OWC switch by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:17:13 AM

Ground faults by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:13:25 AM

installing a PID controller on Classic Gaggia 2015 (RI9403/11 European Model) by JojoS
December 09, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Baby Twin - problem w/ Coffee Dispensing Buttons by JojoS
December 08, 2017, 08:39:42 PM

IMS shower screen by SusanJoM
December 08, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Mods planning for Gaggia Classic circa 2007 by The Big L
December 08, 2017, 10:37:39 AM