Author Topic: The Dreaded No Flow Problem  (Read 149 times)

Offline CollinG

• Just Got Here
The Dreaded No Flow Problem
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Hi everyone, last year I purchased a Classic secondhand and cleaned it up well by cleaning the group head and changing the OPV. I decided to check inside the boiler and descale it. It wasn't too badly scaled. After the descale it worked fine several times but now nothing flows at all and I think something is blocked. I can get water through the steam wand and have tried priming it also.

Yesterday I tore down the machine again thinking it was a solenoid issue. To my surprise its actually clean as a whistle. Still struggling with no flow now after reassembly.

Where can I check for blockages? I've seen people recommend cleaning the grouphead, which I've done. It doesn't look like its in too great of shape but there certainly isn't any scale blocking all of the water.

Thanks!

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
Re: The Dreaded No Flow Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
The solenoid is still likely, and the particle will not necessarily be visible.  If water runs fine out of the steam wand, valve open and steam switch not depressed, and pump on, then the pump and path into the boiler are good, and likely it is the solenoid.  There are threads on here where similar occurred.  Remove again and blow it out.

Offline The Big L

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic (Raspberry PiD)
    • Pharos
Re: The Dreaded No Flow Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
I've had the no-flow problem on my Classic a couple times -- typically after descaling.  If you don't have luck with the solenoid cleaning, you can try what I did: get some citric acid solution in the boiler, goose the temperature a bit (either steam switch or PID/computer if you have one), then continually backflush into an empty blind portafilter basket.  Maybe ~5s with the pump on, then 10s off while you empty the water from the basket.  Repeat a few times and then let it sit a while with the portafilter in.  Repeat the whole thing if necessary.

The combination of the high temp water + steam + acid seems to do a pretty good job of dissolving and/or knocking loose whatever is stuck in the boiler-solenoid-group path.  It might be an unorthodox approach, but it's always served me well   :o

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Crema vs foam by vladgiurgiu
Today at 02:24:44 AM

Grease or rust on Gaggia Classic by Jorgevg
August 16, 2017, 08:10:40 AM

Baratza Sette- Bad News and Good News by JojoS
August 13, 2017, 07:46:26 PM

Newbie with Gaggia Espresso by Gbbg
August 13, 2017, 01:59:30 PM

Hello from South Australia :) by JojoS
August 12, 2017, 12:57:11 AM

The Dreaded No Flow Problem by The Big L