Author Topic: new to me Gaggia classic... I think  (Read 556 times)

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
new to me Gaggia classic... I think
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »
Ok so as a follow up to my intro post (where i was told not all Gaggia machines are actually a gaggia classic with the 3 way solenoid) ill post some pics here . im on mobile so i apologize if the pictures do not show up, ill update when I get home.

Im fairly sure it is a classic as it has the metal bar on the back left. I got it off a guy who said he upgraded to a better machine for $200cdn (160USD ish) and was told it is in good working order. Apperently that means different things to different people. The upgraded wand drips water at a slightly alarming rate once the machine is hot, and the gasket leaks.

I took the area around the gasket apart to clean it (brew group i think it is called?) and holy cow! It was all black! I soaked what i could remove from the machine in hot water with dish soap and scrubbed as best i could, then whiped the machine part down as best i could. I should have taken some before pictures...

I got it all somewhat clean, im waiting for my amazon order to arrive so I can descale the machine.

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
Re: new to me Gaggia classic... I think
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
Front shot

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
What you have is a Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic equipped with an aluminum boiler and a 3 way solenoid valve. Get hold of a blind filter and some espresso cleaner for detergent backflushing to maintain it properly. 

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
What you have is a Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic equipped with an aluminum boiler and a 3 way solenoid valve. 

And an adjustable OPV :-))))
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
I kinda left out the adjustable OPV on purpose. I think it is too early in OP's espresso journey to get  into the OPV being adjustable. We don't have a grinder pairing yet. Can't rule out the use of pre ground coffee with the available info.

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
Haha 100% correct. I'm getting my beans ground at a local roaster until i decide which grinder i want and when the mrs allows me to buy one. Currently looking at the breville grinder pro and the Baratza encore. Still trying to convince the wife that it's worth the money. I think it will be an uphill battle to convince her that even those are worth the money so anything nicer is currently out of the question

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »
Do you mind posting pics of the portafilter and filter baskets that came with your purchase? It will help us guide you to make the most out of the equipment that you have.

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Don't have pics on me, but am confident it came with the 3 factory ones. A single and double pressurized and a double non pressurized

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
If you have the plastic nozzle that is used with the pressurized double filter basket, you will most likely get better results than using the non pressurized when it comes to pre-ground coffee. Try both and give us feedback.

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
I have pulled a couple shots from the single and double pressurized filters, have not yet achieved a great shot (most have been meh not bad but not great) so i have not moved to the non-pressurized as i hear it is less forgiving especially with pre ground beans.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:18 AM »
To be completely frank with you, a not bad shot is about what you can expect from pre-ground coffee. Look around for refurbished or pre-owned espresso capable grinder. In the mean time, you can use a scale to weigh your pre-ground coffee and the yield. Your shot time must be quite fast but not much you can do about it other than ask your roaster to grind the coffee finer for you.

Offline theshaneler

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia Classic
    • N/A
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »
Yea, i will have to get them to grind it smaller next time, im weighing my double shots to 17g and they are pulling in about 15 seconds which i know is far to fast. I have been keeping an eye out for a grinder but dont expect one to pop up any time soon, i was watching for the gaggia and it took months before one popped up and even then it was 6hrs away. Its difficult when your entire cuntry is as big as Russia with the population of California, and your dollar exchage makes importing cost prohibitive.

Thanks for your help with machine identification and brewing tips! Ill keep working on perfecting my shots.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Evolution vs Classic by JojoS
October 18, 2017, 08:06:43 AM

2015 Romanian Classic with good quality internal parts? by ivokbg
October 18, 2017, 02:40:47 AM

Replacing the switch on an old Baby Gaggia circa 1980 with a Classic switch by Roski500
October 16, 2017, 02:00:11 AM

Gaggia Classic interior leak (pump?) by SusanJoM
October 15, 2017, 05:05:17 PM

Gaggia classic and default steam wand by JojoS
October 15, 2017, 01:14:31 AM

Breville Smart grinder pro problem by SusanJoM
October 12, 2017, 02:50:20 PM

When it's time to say goodbye.... by JojoS
October 12, 2017, 05:05:13 AM

Cleaning my OWC by steveowc
October 11, 2017, 12:59:56 PM

Source for new group head gasket for OWC? by JR
October 11, 2017, 08:37:10 AM

KitchenAid by Gaggia with double boilers--heard steam noise, unit got very hot.. by JojoS
October 11, 2017, 04:22:24 AM