Author Topic: Baratza Sette- Bad News and Good News  (Read 559 times)

Offline vindibona1

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • GC purchased November 2016 (USA) not sure which model
    • Baratza Sette Grinder
Re: Baratza Sette- Bad News and Good News
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

So with 20/20 hindsight, looking back what should I have purchased?  If Baratza grinders fall into that same category of needing regular repair, then what else is left in that general price category besides the Rocky?

The Sette is very attractive for a lot of reasons (I don't have one - just going by online research).  I'm tempted to buy one - so I don't think you made a bad choice at all.

With that said - if you can live with the industrial look and if you have some DIY skills and interest ... The Mazzer Major is a machine that will last forever.  I have a very, very old Mazzer Major (one of the first ever imported to the US) and I'm sure I could pass it on to my grandchildren and their grandchildren and it'll still be running fine.  They can be had used quite inexpensively - a new set of burrs and a few simple mods to reduce the grind retention and improve the doser or make it doserless.  It's a big, heavy beast - but it will never break.      All the same, I'm still tempted to buy a Sette if that helps you feel better about your purchase.

I looked up the Mazzer Major.  $1200 (first problem). 25" tall!  Wouldn't fit under my cabinets.  I've received my replacement Sette and will start a new thread about the replacement.

Offline vindibona1

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Baratza Sette Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
So my Baratza Sette replacement grinder arrived today, so they were pretty prompt getting it out.  I dunno... The assembly wasn't 100% right for out-of-the-box use and there are some differences in operation from the first unit I had.

So I unboxed the replacement and put the requisite hopper on top and went to do the initial setting. So I'm looking at the fine grind settings and they're all on the rear of the burr/head assembly (like on the opposite side of the moon).  Bottom line for that is that somehow they managed to install the burr/head assembly on backwards.  Luckily I've had the old one out for cleaning and I knew how to uninstall/reinstall. So I get this straightened out.  Now to make coffee...

So I figure there should be some consistency in the units, right?  So I placed the settings where I had the old machine; 3/E, ground and went to brew... TOTAL CHOKE.  Ok, good, it can grind fine for espresso.  2 clicks up to 5. CHOKE. 2 clicks up to 7. Choke. Two more up to 9... you get the picture.  Finally I turned the fine tuner all the way to course and put the hard step setting on 13 . FINALLY coffee comes out of the machine and the pull completes 36 oz in 22 seconds. So I burn through 4 ounces of beans and still haven't gotten dialed in, but at least I'm close now.  The last grinder (that failed) would chew through beans in about 5.5 seconds. With this last setting the grind time exceeded 7 seconds; fast by any other standard, but compared to my original Sette kind of slow.

I always questioned whether it was proper that the old grinder had to be set on 3 for a 25-30 second espresso pull and thought it was kind of at the end of the spectrum, something you'd expect from a cheaper grinder.  I gotta say that I became a little wary when I had to reinstall that backwards burr/head.  Imagine a new Sette owner with that issue!   But relative to the drastic change in settings reqired, I'm wondering if Baratza improved the product or assembly to give a little more room for even finer grinds?

Just reporting.

Offline AndyPanda

• GUG Regular
    • OWC, Classic, Carezza, Coffee, Baby
    • Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato T80, Sunbeam conical
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
Not sure what failed on your original ... but if it was the motor that failed, I have heard that the new motor (the one that solves the problem) grinds a bit slower than the old motor assembly that was so prone to failure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:44:37 PM by AndyPanda »

Offline AndyPanda

• GUG Regular
    • OWC, Classic, Carezza, Coffee, Baby
    • Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato T80, Sunbeam conical
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
I looked up the Mazzer Major.  $1200 (first problem). 25" tall!  Wouldn't fit under my cabinets.

Yeah ... that's why I said "used", I see them frequently for very low prices considering how well they are built.  And yes they are very tall with the hopper - I use mine single dose without the hopper and it fits under counters just fine. 

Anyway ... not suggesting you get one.  I keep thinking I'd enjoy owning a Sette.  But just giving you an alternative that is dirt simple and built like a tank to compare against a lightweight, plastic machine with a terrific grind, the latest tech and built to last a few years then be replaced.

Offline vindibona1

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Baratza Sette Grinder
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
...And on the SEVENTH PULL, HE RESTED

Finally dialed in!  Took SEVEN tries.  Setting is now 13/D.  Let's see if the fine setting drifts like the last machine did.

Not sure what failed on your original ... but if it was the motor that failed, I have heard that the new motor (the one that solves the problem) grinds a bit slower than the old motor assembly that was so prone to failure.

Thanks for the news.  I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense especially because the default preset times were 10, 20 and 30 seconds, different than my original machine.  Yes, this machine grinds slower.  17.5 gms would previously take about 5.25 seconds to run through the machine. Now it takes roughly twice that for the same amount of beans and roughly the same grind.  So I guess it wasn't inconsistency, but an updated machine with improvements.  When I bought mine they had just hit the market and the stores couldn't keep them in stock. I had to wait 2 months from order to receive mine.  A store would get them in and they'd be sold out in a day.

As an interesting side note, today I think I got one of the best shots I'd made.  For the time I decided I'd forget about the steam blip so as not to add any additional variables to the recipe. And at 212F  for 28 seconds (from switch on) it was really very good and I don't know what I'd want to do to change it.

I'm not sure what Baratza's warranty policy is, but I want to make sure this new one is covered for an entire year.  I know that Whole Latte Love wouldn't cover it, especially because I have a machine with a different serial number, but I didn't want to go through them for the replacement (I'll leave it at that).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:48:56 AM by vindibona1 »

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
Refurbs are for 1 year.

https://www.baratza.com/product-category/refurb/

I am not sure how they would interpret that on a purchased refurb versus a refurb to replace yours.  From my recall years back, the refurb replacement starts a new year.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
My recollection is different.

I think the warrantee will be from the date of the original purchase. 

I have been annoyed by this in the past, but I think they will/would say that the replacement will do what they promised which is to get you through a year from the purchase date.

Let us know what actually happens.
Maybe d4F and I should start a pool....:-))))
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
I had a problem with a FitBit band and it was replaced and the warranty extended.  The next band had a problem and then they had replaced enough that they no longer extended the warranty.

I would ask Baratza directly.  Since they sell refurbs, the 1 year makes sense for a sold refurb.  For a replacement, you may get the same machine without an extension.  That was why the link and my comment about interpretation.

Offline vindibona1

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Baratza Sette Grinder
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »
I have to find out what the story is exactly.  Not sure it this is a "refurb" or not, or is considered a "refurb".  Also there is the matter of the "sales" date and the "ship" date.  I ordered the thing at the end of November but had to wait and it didn't ship until Jan 6 and I didn't receive it until Jan 8th. So there are definitely some hairs to be split. 

The fact is, that Baratza will do as Baratza will do. They can't keep the Settes in stock even though they sell for more than the Rockys.  Hopefully I can make my case that my first machine failed within 8 months of receving it and if the second machine holds true in terms of "time before failure" then it would leave me well out of the warranty period, and I hope that the confusion about when the warranty started might aid my case about a new warranty.

Now is it refurbished?  I can tell you that the grind speed is different than before, about twice as long for the same amount of grinds. The "setting drift" that I had on my old Sette does not appear to be present in the new machine. There are no signs that it has ever been used in any capacity.

Also, with the old machine I had been struggling to find the correct setting, temp, etc to get great espresso that seemed to come so easily with my old Saeco Sirena and Cuisinart grinder (seriously, I can't believe it either).  There was this slightly bad aftertaste that I never could quite figure out or get rid of. GONE with this new machine. I added the 2 second blip this morning and very good came out. I changed the micro setting to on letter courser and I got the best espresso (with Redbird) than I've gotten since I got my GC.

So I hope this machine holds up and I don't need to invoke any further warranty claims.

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
I am sure the information on this thread will be best shared in the grinder section of a forum like HB or CG where a lot more Sette owners can participate. Their insight on this particular line of Sette grinders from Baratza will surely benefit OP. Let's move it there and end it here.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Crema vs foam by vladgiurgiu
Today at 02:24:44 AM

Grease or rust on Gaggia Classic by Jorgevg
August 16, 2017, 08:10:40 AM

Baratza Sette- Bad News and Good News by JojoS
August 13, 2017, 07:46:26 PM

Newbie with Gaggia Espresso by Gbbg
August 13, 2017, 01:59:30 PM

Hello from South Australia :) by JojoS
August 12, 2017, 12:57:11 AM

The Dreaded No Flow Problem by The Big L