Author Topic: Steaming with OWC (steam knob in the front)  (Read 309 times)

Offline kohalmif

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia OWC
    • Gaggia MDF (155W)
Steaming with OWC (steam knob in the front)
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
I have an OWC, and I use it with great plesure, but I have problems with steaming. I'm not able to make a good foam, sometimes the milk beacome too hot, and only a small amount at the and feels like a real good milk foam. Do you have any advice, how to do it better? Thanks in advance.

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Cunill Tranquilo / Baratza Forté
Re: Steaming with OWC (steam knob in the front)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »
There are hundreds or maybe thousands of how-to articles and videos on the web for this, so I'd really prefer not to create yet another one. Why don't you tell us how you're doing it, and maybe we can help you troubleshoot.  ;)

And don't worry, with practice you can do it! This machine is quite capable.

Jack

Offline kohalmif

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia OWC
    • Gaggia MDF (155W)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Hi Jack, thanks for replying. I can tell you, that I've tried to find videos steaming with OWC of course, but without success. I have used a Gaggia Classic earlier, and I had no problem with steaming. With the OWC, the milk stays liquid and very hot, the steamign tube is shorter and the angle of it is strange for me. I don't know how much milk and what kind of frothing pitcher I can use. Do I have to turn the knob completely or not, and how can I hold the pitcher?
Thanks

Offline AndyPanda

• GUG Regular
    • OWC, Classic, Carezza, Coffee, Baby
    • Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato T80, Sunbeam conical
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
I am certainly no expert on steaming milk.  But I did make a cheesy video of me steaming milk with the OWC.  It's poor quality video and I have a slightly modified steam wand.  it's the stock OWC steam wand but I bent it to shape and angle that I like better --- I also felt that the hole in the OWC steam tip was too large so I hammered my tip down to flatten out the hole and make it smaller so there would be less steam but moving at a faster velocity.  It also gave a flat shape (like a knife) to the steam spray.

The stock tip is fine, but just for fun - I attached a photo of the modified tip I used in the video.

And here is that old video.  I'm keeping the nozzle just below the surface of the milk and as the milk expands and rises in the pitcher, I lower the pitcher to keep the nozzle just barely below the surface. (it gives a sound like tearing paper)  When the milk has expanded enough (if you let it keep expanding it'll overflow your pitcher) you can stop or if it isn't hot enough yet you can submerge the nozzle a little lower into the milk and let it swirl until it's the temp you like (where it is just barely too hot to keep your hand on it).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:46:20 AM by AndyPanda »

Offline kohalmif

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia OWC
    • Gaggia MDF (155W)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
Thank you AndyPanda. And how much you open/turn the knob when you start steaming? Completely?

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
Thank you AndyPanda. And how much you open/turn the knob when you start steaming? Completely?
About 1/2 turn will max it out.

This machine is very forgiving when steaming, because it has good boiler capacity and only one hole in the tip. So the steaming speed doesn't compare with a large machine, but it has good velocity and doesn't run out.

I had a huge learning curve when I switched to a larger machine, because the OWC had been so easy to make silky-smooth, fine foam.

With all respect to AndyPanda, I prefer not to change the tip, especially since it is not removable.

Jack

Offline AndyPanda

• GUG Regular
    • OWC, Classic, Carezza, Coffee, Baby
    • Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato T80, Sunbeam conical
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
agreed on the learning curve.  I recently got an S1 Vivaldi and it steams the milk in seconds and I can't get used to it at all.   I love the slower steaming with the single hole tip on the OWC.

Offline kohalmif

• Just Got Here
    • Gaggia OWC
    • Gaggia MDF (155W)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
Thanks for the advices. Today for the first time with my OWC I was able to steam like a pro ;-) I don't really know what was the problem, probably I kept the nozzle too deep. Anyway, Jack was right, I have to practice a lot.
Thanks
Ferenc

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
agreed on the learning curve.  I recently got an S1 Vivaldi and it steams the milk in seconds and I can't get used to it at all.   I love the slower steaming with the single hole tip on the OWC.
Yeah, my Vetrano 2B came with a 2-hole tip that I adapted to pretty quickly. But a 4-hole tip was also included. It took me about 2 years of trying and going back and forth to the 2- hole tip, but I can finally get good foam. The speed is great when you're serving lots of guests. But the 1-hole tip on the OWC did a beautiful job.

Jack

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Classic Boiler Crisis by Tekman
Today at 12:38:09 PM

experimenting with PID on an old Coffee by DaveP2017
Today at 06:08:21 AM

inexpensive DIY group/screen brush by DaveP2017
July 25, 2017, 04:52:16 PM

Alternative cheap and safe descaler for gaggia classic by jerryseabridge
July 25, 2017, 04:07:04 PM

Deposits from my boiler by D4F
July 23, 2017, 02:33:09 PM

Clssic Vibratory Water Pump Replement by Tekman