Author Topic: Newbie with Gaggia Espresso  (Read 648 times)

Offline Gbbg

• Just Got Here
    • Ol' Espresso
Newbie with Gaggia Espresso
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »
Hello,
First foray into the world of home brewed Espressos using a just bought "unused-out-of-the-box" Gaggia Espresso.
Any owners of the same model here?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
Re: Newbie with Gaggia Espresso
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
Not many of those around anymore.
Got a picture?
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline GaggiaGrandpa

• Just Got Here
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
Hi Gbbg.

Probably, but we cannot tell with that. We think you are missing a word or two. Because you are referencing a machine quite old, the odds that you have one unused-OOTB is incredibly unlikely... like museum piece unlikely. ;-) The Espresso was a budget unit that look like it came from the '70s but was late 90s / early oughts. If this is yours, it's basically a baby or classic, w/o the solenoid; so after brewing, definitely count to 10 before removing the portafilter unless you like coffee and near-boiling water spraying you.

Perhaps it's something like Gaggia Espresso Dose, Espresso Pure, Espresso Color, etc. instead?

I second wanting to see a pic!

Offline Gbbg

• Just Got Here
    • Ol' Espresso
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Sorry, for some reason I never got a notification for replies.
Hello, Gaggiagrandpa, the pic is spot on.

It's an espresso in black, not the stormtrooper version.

As far as the 10sec wait, I usually don't take the portafilter out until after I froth the milk too. After which the cake is pretty dry.

Couple of times I didn't wait, the cake was slushy and dripping, but never got sprayed.  :)

I just did my first descaling on it; didn't notice anything in the flush though.

I'd be glad to borrow some tips from the community.

Offline DaveP2017

• GUG Regular
    • Motley collection of Classics and Selectas
    • Sage BCG820
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
I'd be glad to borrow some tips from the community.

Trouble with tips is they will cost you a great deal more than the machine cost  :D

So my best tip is...  if it works then be happy with what you have and drink coffee

My other tips are to mod the heck out of it starting with the steam wand, then worry about doing something about the water pressure, then think about maintaining a better temperature,   then get a grinder and beans  :-X

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
That is a fine little machine you have there.
I never understood all the iterations of it  (the evolution, the carezza, etc) but the basic design and function are all just as intended. 

My first priority would be to source excellent beans and an excellent espresso capable grinder and then only make adjustments to your hardware if the results in the cup aren't to your standards.

Without the best beans, you can't get the best flavor. 
Without an excellent grinder you can't extract that flavor with a Gaggia.
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline DKB

• Just Got Here
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
I've been using an Espresso [that I bought used] for at least ten years. I just replaced the pump (for the second time) and the boiler. We have soft water but I still put it through a Brita filter. I don't know if that makes the water less mineral-y but it might. My wife and I make fewer than 20 cups a week and I only descale (with citric acid) every few months. At the same time you descale, you probably should remove the shower screen (phillips screw) and clean the oily crud from it and the holder above it using detergent. I leave the screen off while descaling so any sediment from the aluminum boiler (which became very corroded and pitted over its lifetime) can come through and not get trapped behind the screen. You can also see how well the process is proceeding. There will be a lot of scale at first and then it goes away after a while. Don't be afraid to take the top off and look inside. (There's one screw that holds it down in the water filler in the back. Then wiggle a little to lift up the back of the top and unhook it from the front panel) It is a very simple machine. Unplug it first so you don't get shocked. Enjoy your coffee!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:04:42 AM by DKB »

Offline Gbbg

• Just Got Here
    • Ol' Espresso
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks for all your encouragement.
Right now, the machine is used to make at best ~10 coffees per week.

However, I think I just blew the tstat or something since no steam comes out of the wand though hot water gushes through it just fine with the valve open and both steam n shot buttons ON or just the shot button ON.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Crema vs foam by vladgiurgiu
Today at 02:24:44 AM

Grease or rust on Gaggia Classic by Jorgevg
August 16, 2017, 08:10:40 AM

Baratza Sette- Bad News and Good News by JojoS
August 13, 2017, 07:46:26 PM

Newbie with Gaggia Espresso by Gbbg
August 13, 2017, 01:59:30 PM

Hello from South Australia :) by JojoS
August 12, 2017, 12:57:11 AM

The Dreaded No Flow Problem by The Big L