Author Topic: Adding Silvia V1 Stem Wand to Gaggia Classic  (Read 65296 times)

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
Re: Adding Silvia V1 Stem Wand to Classic
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
Ok great, thanks guys.  One last thing that's been on my mind.  I accidentally turned the copper hex pipe thingy that the gaggia nut screws into.  Is that a bad thing?  I didn't notice that they were two parts until the nut came off so easily - then I realized I was actually struggling with the copper thing.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
"the copper hex thingy"????   uh huh.........maybe a picture or a better description would be a good idea?

On the other hand, you are probably worrying about nothing....again... ;)  ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:58:45 PM by SusanJoM »
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
"the copper hex thingy"????   uh huh.........maybe a picture or a better description would be a good idea?

On the other hand, you are probably worrying about nothing....again... ;)  ;)

Haha, well it's easy enough to explain.  You know what the wand's nut screws into?  Well I was "unscrewing" that a bit before I noticed I was turning the wrong thing.  Probably turned it half a turn.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
Okay, I still don't get it.
Look at this picture, looking down on the steam valve.  The nut screws onto the valve but there is nothing that can be turned there.  The male threaded side is a molded part of the valve itself.

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline IntrepidQ3

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic with PID and Dimmer
    • HG-One
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
I think I know what part you are talking about. It's the copper hex channel that the wand screws onto and it is slightly popping out of the housing. The other end of the channel is welded to the copper pipping leading to the boiler. Not sure if copper hex channel is the technical term. To be more specific if you look at the parts diagram it can be found looking at the top component of #49. This is not designed to turn. Since you managed to turn it 180 degrees I would check the welds. Make sure no leaks are occurring when you run water through it.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work." - Sigmund Freud

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
Good catch.
Now I see what you mean.
And....what Intrepid said....

If you did anything wrong you will know because it will leak sooner or later.
Until then, watch but don't worry.

Attribution in Dispute

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
Look at the parts diagram and the connection of 49, 50, 51.  I never saw that O ring and assume that it is up in 49 to make the seal.  I did not add another O ring.  Note that 49 is the tube with the nut brazed on.  It does not turn, nor should you tighten against it very firmly as noted above.

I was trying to avoid having you turn that, "49"  :)

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
Delete
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:55:34 AM by Sabin »

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 01:53:55 AM »
Delete
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:55:46 AM by Sabin »

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »
Thanks guys.

Well that stinks.  Why did they make it a hex (right above another hex) if it's not meant to be turned.  I haven't noticed any leaks - not that I've kept an eye on it - but I'll check tomorrow.

Look at the parts diagram and the connection of 49, 50, 51.  I never saw that O ring and assume that it is up in 49 to make the seal.  I did not add another O ring.  Note that 49 is the tube with the nut brazed on.  It does not turn, nor should you tighten against it very firmly as noted above.

I was trying to avoid having you turn that, "49"  :)

I either passed over that or didn't understand it.  I just went with the linked picture instructions.  And this is why I don't like to tinker.. lol.  Simple projects turn into expensive problems.

Edit: Ah, it was after I removed it anyway.  Man that sucks, I was twisting a copper pipe....

So essentially I can have something like this on my hands
(Not my machine or picture)

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
Why did they make it a hex (right above another hex) if it's not meant to be turned.

Let me answer my own question.  It's probably there to use as a counter force in the case that your steam wand nut is too tight.  So it's essentially there to prevent the tube from being twisted.. Ironic, aint it?  There still must be a better way to do it.

Anyhow, might be edit the linked instructions to warn people against doing this for the future?  I can't be the only oaf out there.  ;-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:19:25 AM by Sabin »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Note that 49 is the tube with the nut brazed on.  It does not turn, nor should you tighten against it very firmly as noted above.
Hope that helps.

Really?
How could it have been made clearer????

And just keep in mind that nothing you could have done to it is beyond repair.  It's all just a somewhat complicated package of parts that can be replaced.

Attribution in Dispute

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
I edited my first post in this thread to add the parts diagram

http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=11

The warning about part 49 is there and now the parts diagram.  It may not be soon enough, but my first post to modify, and hopefully others wanting to do the mod will read this thread through before starting.

If you actually turned it as far as you think, it should leak somewhere.  If the tubing is most of the full length into the nut and then the nut brazed, it may have a fairly long tight fit and the braze just completes the seal.  Watch the top of the nut and tubing interface by opening the machine occasionally and look for discoloration/change before gross leak.  If you did not break that and instead cracked the pipe, I would expect a bigger leak, soon.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
And I can add a link from the How To Article to this thread....
What Tex used to refer to as "belt AND suspenders".....

Susan
Attribution in Dispute

Offline Sabin

• GUG Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Note that 49 is the tube with the nut brazed on.  It does not turn, nor should you tighten against it very firmly as noted above.
Hope that helps.

Really?
How could it have been made clearer????

And just keep in mind that nothing you could have done to it is beyond repair.  It's all just a somewhat complicated package of parts that can be replaced.
Sorry, the instructions that I was referring to are:  http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=84  which was linked earlier on this post.  D4F's post was after I removed the wand and noticed no washer. 

Now that I look back on the linked instructions, I see a "companion brass connector" was mentioned.  I wish there was a warning at that point, but ultimately I'm aware it's my own wrongdoing.  I just wish there was a little gap between it and the steam wand nut, I guess they perfectly lined up for me to twist both.

Please don't take my lamenting as pointing blame anywhere.  Yesterday is the first time that I touched my machine in over a year and I'm bummed that this happened.

Thanks for all the advice!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:05:34 PM by Sabin »

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge