Author Topic: installing a PID controller on Classic Gaggia 2015 (RI9403/11 European Model)  (Read 23259 times)

Offline Mees1234

• Just Got Here
Dear Pedro,

"Problems with wires RI9403/11"
Thanks for talking about the Gaggia 2015 European Model.
We have a Gaggia Classic RI9403/11, bought some years ago here in the Netherlands. It is fabricated in Romania, 230V and 1050W.
The filter holder and the filter holder seal needed to be replaced. But after the replacement I found out that I did not make a good note of one of the wires I disconnected.
It is the grey wire that is connected to the coffee maker switch coming from the white “plug” on the right top side (see picture) and I do not know where the other end belongs.
On the other picture is the loose end of the grey wire.
3rd and 4th pictures the left and right switches and I think the grey wire has to be connected  to the left switch. But it is not clear for me how, the black stripe in the middle is not an opening.You posted a while ago a picture of the left switch where I could see two grey wires but how it was connected I just could not figure out. ( sorry)
Hopefully you can help me.
( I do not have any electrical know-how, so any support as simple explained as possible,please)
Thank you very much before hand.
Kind regards Mees12134

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Pre-2015 Gaggia Classic + PID Control(brew and steam)
    • Eureka Mignon Manual

This pic that was posted earlier on this thread might give you a clue.

Offline Mees1234

• Just Got Here
Dear JojoS,

Thanks for your reply and the picture. Yes I have seen this picture also in an earlier post, although it is a very clear and close-up picture, I can see that the grey wire, I am struggling with, has to be connected to the right switch, but unfortunately I can not see the way it is connected. Can it be that I have to put it together in the black "sleeve" of the other grey wire?

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Without a wiring diagram, it will be a risky guess where that wire should go.

Offline Mees1234

• Just Got Here
Thanks, I saw some of those diagrams but I think none was for this model. I will look again for a diagram and perhaps it is also a good idea to make a new topic for my question.
Thank you for your support!

pfeijao

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:16:16 PM by pfeijao »

Offline joostw

• Just Got Here
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for this comprehensive explanation of installing a PID on the Classic 2015. I installed it and it works fine, really nice to be able to control the right brewing temperature. I would like to integrate the mains (220V) of the PID controller with the on/off switch of the espresso machine. Have you done this before? And could you show me to which wire you have connected the 220V input wires of the PID controller? It would be great if the PID controller switches on when I switch on the Classic.

Thanks!

pfeijao

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:17:00 PM by pfeijao »

Offline joostw

• Just Got Here
Thanks for this tip and the quick response. That would definitely work. I wondered if I could integrate PID power with the on/off switch of the Classic itself, but the wiring of the 2015 model is more complicated as it is controlled by a PCB (mainly because of 9 min autoswitch feature). So I think your solution is the easiest! Thanks

Offline Ruby

• Just Got Here
Hello, I enjoyed reading your step by step guide on installing a PID but got lost after taking the two screws out! I wish I could be as handy but I barely change a light bulb.
I need a pid for my new Gaggia Classic do you know where I can have it done ? I am in Melbourne.
Ruby.

pfeijao

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:17:08 PM by pfeijao »

Offline JojoS

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Eureka Mignon Manual
Hello, I enjoyed reading your step by step guide on installing a PID but got lost after taking the two screws out! I wish I could be as handy but I barely change a light bulb.
I need a pid for my new Gaggia Classic do you know where I can have it done ? I am in Melbourne.
Ruby.

Consider signing up on the Australian base coffee forum called CoffeeSnobs. You will most likely find someone there who can help you or point you to a technician who can do it for you.

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge