Author Topic: Dosing  (Read 9253 times)

Offline crispy

• GUG Regular
Re: Dosing
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
Please forgive if this seems a little elementary, but when I pull a double, one shot glass fills with coffee faster than the other. Should I not worry about this as long as the dosage is correct for the PF?

Offline The Big L

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic (Raspberry PiD)
    • Pharos
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Please forgive if this seems a little elementary, but when I pull a double, one shot glass fills with coffee faster than the other. Should I not worry about this as long as the dosage is correct for the PF?

I wouldn't worry about it if the shots both taste good!

Offline D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »
Assuming a Classic and PF with a single hole in the bottom of the PF which then splits into the 2 spouts, I think of a slight machine tilt if always the same side.  If you use a bottomless PF at times, you will see that the espresso is not always centered, so could vary side to side.  In addition, there PF with two built in spouts and that flow could be a little different.  Don't worry about it, not much concern.  I took off the spout for more room.

Offline crispy

• GUG Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the info. Got another dosing question. I've seen from some of the previous discussion that on a Classic, a double dose ranges from 14-17g's. Is this measurement ground beans or whole beans? Thanks again!

Offline The Big L

• Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic (Raspberry PiD)
    • Pharos
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
Thanks for the info. Got another dosing question. I've seen from some of the previous discussion that on a Classic, a double dose ranges from 14-17g's. Is this measurement ground beans or whole beans?

Yes.   :D

Elaborating: for most of us it's probably easier to measure the weight of the whole beans than the ground beans.  Certainly it is for me.  The difference between the weight of the whole and ground beans is the amount that your grinder retains -- little bits of ground coffee that stay behind in the burrs, doser, chute, etc.

There's so much variation in grinder retention, basket size, brew temperature, etc., that I would simply treat any dosage recommendations as general guidelines.  If someone says to use 17g with RedBird, then weigh 17g of beans and see what happens.  It might be you're happier with 16g of RedBird, or 18g.

Your goal is a delicious cup of coffee, right?  Individual tastes vary, but a good ballpark is to extract 2-3 times more espresso than the weight of the beans (if you ground 17g of beans, shoot for 30-50g espresso) in about 30s.  Taste good?  Then stop!  If not, you can make adjustments.  One of the adjustments is the amount of ground coffee.  A very soupy puck means you could fit a bit more in the basket.  A dry puck with a prominent indentation from the shower screen retaining screw means you could put a little less in.

Offline benjamin

• GUG Regular
  • Practice makes perfect
    • Gaggia Classic + PID
    • & Capresso
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
Your comment absolutely makes sense, and I am glad to read what I've been mainly doing is now confirmed. And yes individual tastes do vary, thank you for this clear comment  :)

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

The Forum is Shutting Down, closing as of Jan 1, 2018 by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 08:39:24 PM

Coffee Deluxe by SusanJoM
December 31, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

(Questions) - Homemade pressure gauge for adjusting pressure by SusanJoM
December 29, 2017, 03:19:19 PM

Nice OWC restoration at HB by D4F
December 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Pump leaking from plastic by wjm
December 24, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Using Thermoblock as preheater by jerryseabridge