Author Topic: Source for new group head gasket for OWC?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline norvin

• Getting the Hang of It
    • OWC + PID, 2x Old Babys, Kitchenaid.
    • Compak e8, ROSSI rr45.
Re: Source for new group head gasket for OWC?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 05:34:23 AM »
Hi,

I make mine 83mm od, 55mm id, 14mm wide and 5.5 mm thick. It has a slight blue colour.
Given the state of the rest of the machine when I got it, I would think that this is the original gasket.

Hope this helps.

Offline bluehills5

• Just Got Here
    • Old White Coffee (steam knob on front)
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
Re-opening this thread with some new info.
I just restored my OWC and for the boiler gasket, I've successfully used a Buna-N Square O-ring model s/n70235 and I bought from the "O-ring store" but they may be available elsewhere too. Note they are not high-temp silicone but they seem to work OK for me. They are less than $.50 each so I bought 5 and put the spares inside the machine for next time.
As for the group gasket, I found 2 models which may fit but I have not tried.
Isomac Maverick Group Seal 71x54x4.5mm 
Grouphead Gasket Nuova Simonelli 72x58x4.5mm

Of these, the Isomac might be the best. It's 0.5mm too thin but most stores also sell gasket shims to allow for wear so paper shim might thicken it enough (eg SKU# GI_54 from espresso parts). The filter is only 68mm diameter so the reduced outer diam should be OK.
My gasket is still OK for now but if anyone wants to try one of these, do a search and they are available for about $5 each.

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
That's great info. Are either of those group gaskets silicone?  Silicone gaskets seal with much less force than the original hard rubber gaskets (that is, comparing the Gaggia hard rubber gasket to the QuickMill Vetrano 2B with its silicone gasket).

However, whatever we replace them with, we'll need them to fit tightly enough on the inner or outer perimeter so as not to fall out.

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

Offline bluehills5

• Just Got Here
    • Old White Coffee (steam knob on front)
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 11:29:40 AM »
I'm not sure of the material but they are factory rubber so I'd assume they work OK (at least for the models they are designed for). I just found them doing an search for a gasket for the OWC and these seem the best match as the originals are unavailable and most gaskets are 8-10mm thick so they won't work.
However, although cheap to buy from a few online retailers, the shipping price is a killer and although mine sometimes leaks, it's not too bad.
I found them for sale at:
www.theespressoshop.co.uk ( Item No. IS000807)
OR
www.espressocare.com  (part SKU/Part #: 0807)
So if someone's Coffee grouphead gasket is completely shot, this might be worth a try - I've just not tried it myself.

The other option is buy a sheet of silicone of 5mm thickness (preferably food grade of about 60 shore hardness) and a cheap craft circle cutter like they use for leather (eg from amazon the "Circle Cutter Round Cutter Leather Craft Tool 1-30cm" for about $12).

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Classic
    • Compak K-10
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
It's me as usual banging the drum for EspressoParts.com.

It would be worth seeing if they have anything comparable because at EP.c. "PARTS SHIP FREE".

Just sayin'....
“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
Attribution in Dispute

Offline norvin

• Getting the Hang of It
    • OWC + PID, 2x Old Babys, Kitchenaid.
    • Compak e8, ROSSI rr45.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 04:21:51 AM »
           "The other option is buy a sheet of silicone of 5mm thickness (preferably food grade of about 60 shore hardness) and a cheap craft circle cutter like they use for leather (eg from amazon the "Circle Cutter Round Cutter Leather Craft Tool 1-30cm" for about $12)."

When my original OWC gasket started leaking, I thought that I might try this.
A 5mm sheet of silicon 60 shore hardness was bought from ebay. I marked out the sheet by drawing round the old gasket and roughly cut out with scissors. I got to an exact fit by using a grinding wheel to smooth out the rough edges, while constantly trying the part for fit in the portafilter holder (outside diameter) and around the group head (inside diameter). I eventually achieved a light push fit into one and over the other. Make sure they're concentric! I had to put a 0.5mm paper gasket between the new gasket and the group head to get the portafilter to 'park' at the 6 o'clock position.
It works! I have been using the OWC for two weeks now and there aren't any leaks.   

Offline JR

• Administrator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • OWC-WSKoF (x2) / Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
    • Baratza Forté
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Thanks, that’s a great update. I wonder if a 6mm sheet (if available) might work, and eliminate the need for a paper spacer.

Jack
Pi for All (Raspberry Pi Hobby Site)

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Dosing on Gaggia Classic Stainless Steel boiler by benm
Today at 06:15:59 AM

Classic, solenoid or pump issue - help needed! by D4F
December 12, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

Bad taste by SusanJoM
December 10, 2017, 09:46:39 PM

Gaggia Classic Solenoid Spring Question by motopoeta
December 10, 2017, 04:59:55 PM

Replacing power on/off light on OWC switch by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:17:13 AM

Ground faults by steveowc
December 10, 2017, 10:13:25 AM

installing a PID controller on Classic Gaggia 2015 (RI9403/11 European Model) by JojoS
December 09, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Baby Twin - problem w/ Coffee Dispensing Buttons by JojoS
December 08, 2017, 08:39:42 PM

IMS shower screen by SusanJoM
December 08, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Mods planning for Gaggia Classic circa 2007 by The Big L
December 08, 2017, 10:37:39 AM