Author Topic: Volunteers Requested - Guide to Putting a PID into a New Baby  (Read 2024 times)

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • 1xNew Baby, 1xDose, 1xColour
    • Vario Grinder
Volunteers Requested - Guide to Putting a PID into a New Baby
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Hi all!

Am looking for a couple of volunteers - seemed to me there is little specific help on the web for people with a "New" Baby who want to implement a PID from scratch for brew+steam control. Therefore I've drafted up a guide on how to do this (and tested it by using it on an old "New" Baby I have). I'd like a couple of people, preferably with prior experience of implementing PIDs, to take a look at it and provide comments. Any takers?

Once I've completed it I intend to make it available to all on this forum, it that's OK with you all?

Jerry

Online D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
Re: Volunteers Requested - Guide to Putting a PID into a New Baby
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »
The PID, alarm, and SSR connections are similar across a variety of Gaggias and other machines.  The main difference is finding the correct terminal that is switched on the front panel so that you switch on the PID controller with the machine power on.  Similar for the steam function.  I do not have a new Baby to look inside and test the switches.  Sounds like you have it all done correctly. 

Is steam control via alarm?

Are you using a DC power supply?

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • Vario Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »
Thanks for the response. Yes, steam control is via the alarm circuit with an added DC power supply. There are a few other Baby specific issues, for example where to mount the SSR due to the use of plastic in the case (I used an external metal box).

My goal is to document how I did this to share with others - when I first looked into PIDs, about 12 months ago, there was plenty of general information on the web and a number of specific "how to" guides for the Classic, Silvia etc but not much specifically for the Baby. So as a kind of pay-back for all the help I've had in the past I thought I'd put this guide together so that other first-timers who were lucky enough to own a Baby might use it to help understand better what they need to do. Want to take a look? I was going to attach it to this post but it's over the max 1024Kb size (lots of photos!).

Jerry

Online D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
What part of Baby is metal? Look at

http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=12

Are 1 and 65 stainless, "INOX," or just coated?  If metal, I would like to see a shot of the inside of both from above with parts in, or a description.  I can somewhat visualize 1 the upper body with boiler, but I am not so sure about 65 and probably the pump and tubing???

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • Vario Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
All "New" Babys have a plastic upper body assembly (#1 in the parts diagram) and a plastic INOX Central Body assembly (#65) - the original New Babys had steel metal sheeting on the outside of these parts as well as a metal top (#5) and metal drip tray (#79).

In about 2010 the newer New Babys came out - these have either a set of two buttons and two lights in a horizontal row (the basic Baby) or two groups of three (the Dose) - these models have removed the steel covers, ie nearly everything is now purely plastic (apart from a shiny front panel which is chrome).

The first time I did a PID to a Baby it was one of the earlier ones, so I cut out some of the plastic in the upper body assembly, this enabled me to attach the SSR to the metal panel.

For newer Babys, this isnt an option as there is no metal to use - the options then appear to be to attach a metal stand inside the the upper part to #46 ("silver component plate"), suspend in the air inside the upper or lower cavities or attach an extra metal box to the back or side of the Baby - when I did this I went for the latter so I could be certain the SSR was in the right place (the upper body assembly makes it nearly impossible to see what's actually going on inside the Baby once re-assembled).

Online D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
Is 46 metal of plastic?  Is the space above the plate over the pump free?  If 46 is not metal, a heatsink could be added to the back of SSR.  Grabbed the first picture that I could find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-24-380-VAC-25-AMP-SOLID-STATE-RELAY-3-32-VDC-INPUT-WITH-HEATSINK-/251306016536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a83017f18

What does your set up look like, machine and box(s)?

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • Vario Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:05 AM »
Attached is a photo I found of an internally mounted SSR, bolted to part #46. Like I said before I'm not overly keen on mounting it in this way because there is little spare room under the upper body assembly and it gets very fiddly work with. That said it's a more "professional" solution that negates the need for an external box at the back of the Baby.

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • Vario Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Attached is the guide I put together illustrating how a relative beginner can go about PID-ing a Baby. It's in five parts due to file upload limits. First four parts attached to this post - comments/feedback welcome...

Offline jerryseabridge

• GUG Regular
    • Vario Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
and here is part 5...

Online D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »
Nice job, I am sure that other Baby owners will appreciate the help.  I found it easy to understand, but the Classic PID is quite similar, as are most SBDU machines even other  brands.  A box on the back is fine and probably is not very visible when the machine is on a counter with the back toward a wall.  The inside floating install that you showed isolates the SSR and its heat, but I did not see any heat sink.  The Classic sinks to the case of course.  Again, nice job with the PID and install and the write up.

Online D4F

• Global Moderator
  • Grizzled GUG Veteran
    • Gaggia Classic w PID
    • Baratza Forte-AP
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »

LIBRARIES

Reference Library

Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, and How-To-Do-Stuff Articles.

+-Recent Topics

Coffee season by IntrepidQ3
Today at 04:59:35 PM

What do you pull shots into? by D4F
Today at 02:01:31 PM

Rancilio Rocky by D4F
Today at 01:17:41 PM

Vario-W by dev
November 21, 2014, 04:01:26 PM

Adjusting CAL 3200 PID on Gaggia Espresso by D4F
November 20, 2014, 11:52:58 PM

Coffee Modified Steam Valve Question by D4F